Probably the best player of the moment in the women’s circuit, Canadian Bianca Andreescu, will meet in the quarterfinals of this edition of US Open on Belgian Elise Mertens, who manages a very solid tournament so far.
- The 19-year-old Romanian player, who represents Canada, currently ranks 15th in the WTA rankings.
- Andreescu “exploded” at the start of this season, when he reached the final of the tournament in Auckland, respectively he won the trophy at Newport Beach.
- The best result of his career was obtained in the Indian Wells tournament, when he managed to win the trophy, surprising everyone, continuing in the same way in the home tournament, in Montreal.
- He said he feels even better in this tournament at the US Open compared to the Rogers Cup, managing 4 extremely clear victories, losing just one set, surprisingly against Taylor Townsend.
- The player from Beglia “exploded” in the circuit in the last seasons, being currently ranked 26th in the WTA standings, at 23 years old.
- The best result of this year was obtained in Doha, where he managed to win the trophy, after a very disputed final against Simona Halep, returning from 0-1 to the sets.
- The slag was highlighted only at Roland Garros, where he reached the 3rd round, while on the fast grass surface he reached up to the quarters at Mallorca, while on the hard he did not get any notable results.
- In this tournament at the US Open he managed to win all 4 matches in a minimum of sets, dominating all the matches.
1. Direct meetings
The two players have not met so far in the circuit, and this will be the first direct confrontation between the two players.
2.What is the shape of the players in the last 5 matches?
- Bianca Andreescu
- Last result: 2-1 vs Taylor Townsend
- Shape: W W W W W
Bianca Andreescu is at the best performance of her career at a Grand Slam tournament. He reached the quarterfinals at the US Open, where he will face Elise Mertens. The Canadian-born Canadian passed in the eighths of Taylor Townsend, the player who produced the surprise in front of Simona Halep and then eliminated Sorana Cîrstea. Americanca did not get the surprise before Andreescu: he lost in three sets, score 1-6, 6-4, 2-6.Currently in the 15th WTA, Bianca Andreescu will most certainly enter the top 10, regardless of what she will do in the match with Mertens. If he wins the tournament, he will beat Halep and become the 4th player in the world. His form is enviable: he has won 10 consecutive victories, having won his title at the Rogers Cup and passed four laps at Flushing Meadows. Elise Mertens has never met in the circuit before.
- Elise Mertens
- Last result: 2-0 vs Kristie Ahn
- Shape: W W W W L
Elise Mertens is also playing for the first time in the quarterfinals at the US Open. The 23-year-old Belgian player reached the Australian Open semifinals last year, where she lost to champion Caroline Wozniacki. Mertens has not given up any set so far in the US Grand Slam, and in the last match, Kristie Ahn defeated 6-1, 6-1.In 2019, Elise Mertens won the title in Doha, plus two other doubles trophies at Indian Wells and Miami. Last year, the Belgian player reached the top US Open, where she was defeated by Sloane Stephens.
3.News, analysis, statistics and progress about the 2 players.
- It ranks 15th WTA.
- He `s 19 years old.
- This season he won the first two career titles at Indian Wells and Toronto.
- He is at his best performance in a Grand Slam tournament. .
- He won 2.4 million euros from tennis.
- 26th WTA.
- He is 23 years old.
- He has won 5 WTA titleys, the last of them this year in Doha.
- He is in his first career career in the US Open quarterfinals.
- He won $ 4.7 million from tennis.
4.Analysis and information for Bianca Andreescu vs Elise Mertens
The first two semi-finalists at the US Open are already known: Elina Svitolina (3rd place in the WTA Live standings) and Serena Williams (8th place). This will be one of the semifinals. The other will be established after the last two matches in “quarters”: Belinda Bencic (9) – Donna Vekic (21) and Bianca Andreescu (10) – Elise Mertens (24).It is an excellent corridor to the final for the Canadian of Romanian origin Bianca Andreescu. If he defeats Mertens, he will play in the semifinals with Bencic or Vekic. Simona Halep should have advanced on this aisle, if she had not had the accident in round 2, against a player outside the Top 100 (Taylor Townsend).Biancai’s opponent, Belgian Elise Mertens, is the lowest ranked among the 6 tennis players remaining in the competition. She was also 12th in the world earlier this year, when Bianca Andreescu was outside the Top 100.
Bianca Andreescu: Player form, news and statistics
V V V V V
Bianca Andreescu comes after 11 consecutive victories: one at Roland Garros (where she retired after the first lap due to an injury), 6 at Toronto (where she won the trophy) and 4 at the US Open. At the age of 19, the Canadian of Romanian origin showed a disarming maturity even in the previous match, when he kept the control of the Danish Caroline Wozniacki.
Bianca Andreescu (15th place WTA) at the US Open:
* Round 4: 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 with Taylor Townsend (USA, 116)
* Round 3: 6-4, 6-4 with Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark, 19)
* Round 2: 6-3, 7-3 with Kirsten Flipkens (Belgium, 110)
* Tour 1: 6-2, 6-4 with Katie Volynets (USA, 413)
Elise Mertens: Player form, news and statistics
V V V V Î
Elise Mertens was categorically defeated in Round 2 in the last two tournaments before the US Open: Toronto (6-3, 6-3 for Serena Williams) and Cincinnati (6-4, 6-1 for Elina Svitolina).
Mertens is the recipient of an incredibly easy corridor, after being “cleansed” from his path, by much lower ranked players, tennis players such as Garbine Muguruza, Sloane Stephens and Svetlana Kuznețova (in round 1), Petra Kvitova (in round 2) ) and Jelena Ostapenko (in round 3) – all five Grand Slam tournament winners!
Elise Mertens (26th WTA) at the US Open:
* Round 4: 6-1, 6-1 with Kristie Ahn (US, 141)
* Round 3: 6-3, 6-3 with Andrea Petkovic (Germany, 88)
* Round 2: 6-2, 6-2 with Kristyna Pliskova (Czech Republic, 86)
* Round 1: 6-2, 6-2 with Jil Teichmann (Switzerland, 60)
5.Direct match statistics Bianca Andreescu vs Elise Mertens
It is their first direct confrontation.
Tennis Prediction of the Day Bianca Andreescu vs Elise Mertens
Unlike Bianca Andreescu, who has lost only one set so far at this US Open, Elise Mertens had a perfect journey, with no set lost. However, she had a much easier aisle, meeting players only from the 60th place down. Interestingly, he defeated all with identical scores in the two sets (6-1, 6-1 / 6-2, 6-2 / 6-3, 6-3). The Belgian is in good shape, he has an unexpected chance to advance to the semifinals of a Grand Slam tournament, but the same opportunity motivates Bianca Andreescu. However, the Romanian-Canadian is stronger and has a more complete game. Normally, Mertens won’t be hindered.
Prediction Today: Bianca Andreescu
Bianca Andreescu is one of the best tennis players in the world, comes after the title at the Canadian Open and here she can take her first grand slam, although with a Serena in top form is hard to believe. Anyway Bianca is feeling good and should enter the semifinals. His service is good but Andreescu generally does not send many aces, having 1 here with Volynets, 6 with Flipkens, 2 with Wozniacki and 5 with Townsend. Elise Mertens is better in this area of the game, and even though she had very short matches here, she has 3 aces with Teichmann, 5 with Pliskova, 7 with Petkovic and 2 with Ahn.
Bet Tips: Elise Mertens sends more aces