The management of the Miami tennis tournament has responded this Saturday to the alleged insults that the fans threw to Caroline Wozniacki during the game against Puerto Rican Monica Puig and ended in defeat of the Danish.

Wozniacki revealed on social media that he received insults and threats during the third round match of the tournament. “People in the public threatened my family, they wanted my father and mother dead, and they told me things that I do not want to repeat,” said the former number one on her Twitter account. “The security service and the staff have done nothing to prevent this […] and when certain limits are crossed, it makes the game horrible for both players. I hope the Miami Open chooses to address the problem seriously, as it is a horrible example for the next generation of players and spectators, “added the Danish.

Following the complaint of the tennis player, the tournament management has issued a statement in which it ensures that the safety of the players is their first responsibility. “The last game between Caroline and Monica was played in front of a noisy and passionate crowd. Although we personally believe that no one should endure any kind of abuse on the track, we do everything possible to provide a safe and respectful environment, “says the organization. “During the game, we had tournament and WTA personnel, as well as track safety. They never witnessed, nor were they notified of any specific threat made to players or their families. If we had been notified, the situation would have been handled immediately, “he says.