The organizers of the Wimbledon Grand Slam tournament will announce the cancellation of the London competition this week because of the coronavirus pandemic, said German Tennis Federation (DTB) Vice President Dirk Hordorff, quoted by Reuters.

Romanian Simona Halep, 27, holds the Wimbledon title after a memorable final won last year, 6-2, 6-2 with Serena Williams.

Officials of the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) have previously stated that the tournament scheduled between June 29 and July 12 will not be held behind closed doors, and its postponement will not be possible without significant risks and difficulties.

“Wimbledon will be canceled on Wednesday”

“Wimbledon announced that it will have a meeting of its board of directors on Wednesday, at which the final decision will be made,” Hordorff said in an interview with Sky Sports.

“I am also involved in the ATP and WTA bodies. The necessary decision has already been taken and the Wimbledon will decide on Wednesday to cancel the tournament. There is no doubt in this regard. It is a necessary thing in the current situation,” said the official.

“It is completely unrealistic to imagine that, under the current travel restrictions, an international tennis tournament could take place, with hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world coming. It is conceivable,” he said. the German official.

The makers of the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) have so far had no views on the matter, according to Dirk Hordorff’s statements.

The postponement of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games offered a two-week window

The postponement of the Tokyo Olympics has opened a two-week window on the tennis calendar in July / August, but it is less likely that a postponement will be possible for Wimbledon, which has only two covered grounds and cannot be completed in late summer. . Romanian Simona Halep holds the title in the women’s singles at Wimbledon, after defeating Serena Williams in the final of last year, 6-2, 6-2.

Previously, the organizers of the Roland Garros tournament surprised the world of tennis, after unilaterally postponing until the end of September the Paris slag competition, originally scheduled in May.

“The unilateral behavior of the organizers of Roland Garros has been criticized by everyone and I can only predict that the French Open will not be moved as intended,” said Hordorff, adding that officials of the French Tennis Federation can go ahead with The new data, however, will feel the wrath of the tennis world, but they also have the option of starting to work with others to come up with a plan that makes sense to everyone.

“They will be deprived of points and degenerate into a chaotic event. Even the people there understand and start slowly, slowly give back. Solidarity is the order of the day, we must be together and not go alone, as made it president of the French tennis federation, “added the German official.